Subscribe
Font Size
Join our Mailing List
DailyPulse
Home Chunder Down Under

CABOOLTURE’S Daniel Nisbet has secured his fourth win from as many starts after holing a 12-foot birdie putt on the 72nd hole to win the Keperra Bowl by one stroke over fellow Golf Australia squad member Brendan Smith (Pymble). 
Nisbet, fired a 4-under par 68 which included eight birdies, four bogies, and four pars on the Keperra layout in much windier conditions to that experienced earlier in the week. Nisbet’s winning total of 21-under par is the lowest in the tournament’s five year history, setting a new tournament record. To continue reading click here

 

Danny Lee's helpers are thinning quickly as the New Zealand golfer adjusts to life in the United States.

The teenager has parted ways with his New Zealand caddie, Anthony Knight, just weeks after an amicable split with his New Zealand-based coach Steve Jessup.

Lee, now managed by the powerful International Management Group, has taken his first tentative steps in the professional ranks on the PGA Tour in the United States in the past month.

Knight had been a constant at his side Knight, but their working relationship has ended, apparently due to a clash between Knight and Sam Lee, the 18-year-old's father.

Their last gig together was last week's Quail Hollow Championship in North Carolina where the reigning US Amateur champion finished tied for 38th.

"Danny wants me to work for him but me and Danny's old man didn't quite see eye to eye on a few things so it looks like we've parted ways," Knight told the Bay of Plenty Times newspaper.

"I don't want to go fully into it but let's just say it's a bit political in there. To read more click here

 

Rookie professional golfer Danny Lee has parted company with his coach in a painless divorce.

Steve Jessup, who has guided the reigning US Amateur champion since 2006, no longer has a role to play in the development of the extraordinarily gifted 18-year-old.

They went their separate ways after the Masters in the United States last month, where the teenager marked his coming out party in the paid ranks by missing the second round cut.

Jessup, club pro at Wairakei International near Taupo since 1995, has no bitter feelings about the working relationship ending at the first of the year's four majors.

He knew before leaving for Augusta National in Georgia that the Masters represented a fork in the road for Lee, and that his services were no longer required with the player now settled in the US.

Lee's parents, Sam and Sujin, shouted 34-year-old Jessup a ... to continue reading click here

 

Four Australian members of the Asian Tour have been informed that they will be fined and suspended after playing on the controversial OneAsia Tour at the Volvo China Open.

The players - Jason King, Chris Gaunt, Brad Kennedy and Ashley Hall - are understood to be facing the maximum fine of 5,000 US dollars and suspension from the Asian Tour for the rest of the season. 

Insiders said that letters were sent to them on Monday with the four men having seven days to appeal. 

They have been penalized for opting to play ... to continue reading click here

 

AUSTRALIA'S three commercial free-to-air television networks have turned their back on the world's greatest sportsman Tiger Woods - saying he's too expensive.

Woods will play in the Australian Masters at Kingston Heath in Melbourne in November, but fans will have to settle for coverage on pay-TV, most likely Fox Sports. Golf officials and international management company IMG have been demanding a $3 million fee from the commercial networks - and all three say it's far too expensive.

Channel Nine boss David Gyngell told us: "There's no doubt Tiger is a superstar but they are trying to sell the deal to cover the tournament for the next three years. Tiger is only signed up for the first year. If we could have done a one-year deal it would be a different story.

"None of the stations have got the sort of money IMG are asking for. It would be good value with Tiger this November, but golf is hard work for advertising revenue.'' To continue reading click here

 

Twelve-year-old Lydia Ko has the opportunity to create history when she contests the final of the New Zealand amateur golf championships in Auckland tomorrow.

Ko would become the youngest winner of the amateur championship and takes on 14-year-old Cecilia Cho (Pakuranga) in the youngest ever final pairing in the event's 115-year history.

Cho, the South Island Amateur champion, beat Australia's Rebecca Flood 5 and 4 in one seminal while Ko, the North Island champion, held off the challenge from Titirangi's Tania Tare to win 2 and 1.

South Africa's Nicol van Wyk will take on Australia's Matt Jager in the men's final after a dramatic afternoon. Van Wyk, who went to the 19th to beat off compatriot Dean O'Riley in the quarterfinal, then edged the world No 1 Scott Arnold (Australia) at the 21st hole in the semifinal.

Earlier Jager's par on the final hole was enough to beat the sole New Zealander in the final four, Tauranga's James Hamilton 1up after the pair were all square going down the 18th.

Ko, who had her 12th birthday last Friday, produced some outstanding play to be one-under par in beating off the challenge from Napier's Lauree Southerden in the morning quarterfinal. The Pupuke player was five-up after seven holes and never relinquished her grip on the match. To continue reading click here

 

ROGUE online agents are cashing in on Tiger Woods' appearance in Australia by flogging fake one-day passes for up to $350.

The real cost to see him at the Australian Masters is expected to be about $50.

Event owner and organiser IMG warned fans to wait until next month before purchasing tickets for the November classic at Kingston Heath.

Woods, who is being paid $3 million, is tipped to draw record crowds in a major boost for the sport in Australia.

But profiteers are already at work. One website is peddling a four-day Masters pass for a huge $600. To continue reading click here

 

 

China Golf Association director Zhang Xiaoning revealed the governing body decided to sanction the Volvo China Open as the first event on the OneAsia Tour because it offered more benefits to Chinese golf.

The controversial new series was set up by the CGA, Korean Golf Association, Korean Golf Tour and PGA of Australasia and launched at the start of the year in direct competition to the Asian Tour, currently the leading administrative body in the region.

It will comprise six events in 2009 but aims to expand to between 12 and 15 in 2010 and more than 20 in 2011.

The Volvo China Open, co-sanctioned by the European Tour and previously the Asian Tour, was the first of those and had a large increase in the number of Chinese entrants, although no members of the Asian Tour who did not qualify through other channels were present in Beijing. To continue reading click here

 
More Articles...